Friday, August 19, 2011

A Long Look Back

After nearly six weeks of living comfortably back in the U.S. it is time to reflect on all my time in Peru, what I learned, how I've changed (or not), and what my fondest memories are. Since returning to VT I've had plenty of time to become familiar once again with the taste of bagels, my thumbs have grown accustomed to the movements necessary to change the T.V. channel and play Xbox, and the lack of worry about entering a local store without exact change has yet to lose its magnificence, yet I continuously find myself looking back on Peru with longing and the feeling that I would willingly trade the lack of change or bagels for another glimpse of the Andes Mountains or another taste of my host Mom's outrageously portioned home cooking. Since this feeling is at its strongest now, as I prepare to return to school in the visually unspectacular Ohio, now is the perfect time to flush on to paper (electronic paper) all my sentiments about my time abroad...

One of the most important things I learned while in Peru was that it is a complete waste of time to be surprised and put off by the openness of 90% of the country's population. To shrink into a shy, uncomfortable shell when faced with the mothering nature of every Peruvian woman over the age of 25 would take away from a large majority of what makes the Peru experience so great. With that said I can safely say that what made visiting Peru so great was the people that I came across, especially my host family. They were not only welcoming but Lucho, his wife, Luis and Jean became friends, close friends versus simply hosts. Even outside of the family it was hard to turn a corner without running into some person who, despite their initial sales pitch, tended to be truly interested in your story, the story of your life, the story of your time in Peru or simply a story that could make them laugh and smile. This is not easily obtained in the U.S., it is hard to forge a strong friendship with the lady that serves you chicken soup (sopa de pollo) or with the shopkeeper who sells you breakfast bread. Returning home was so nice in many respects but I missed the human connection that Peru provided me, I had missed my family when I first moved to Peru and now as I flip through pictures of my time abroad I begin to miss my Peruvian family, including that shopkeeper and the soup lady.

I did not spend the last semester in a rural village hurting for water and nutrients, I did not come face to face with famine and disease and I did have to deal with striking poverty but I did live in a world where even the smallest things are cherished and every day is 24 hours of calculated time structured to yield the most and cost least. I am not one to experience overwhelming guilt and that aspect of my personality had not changed when I came home from Peru, I immediately took advantage of the abundance of food in my cabinet and the access to hot water, constant electricity and an automobile but I drove and showered and snacked with a new perspective. I enjoyed every second of being able to drive around on my own schedule and I relished each bite of the mixed nuts and crackers. It is easy to pass things off as trivial when you don't realize how rare they can be in some places. I am sure that everyone who returns from a developing country says the same thing, "They have so little and we have so much, I just can't believe that people can be so obtuse and unaware, how can I do (x) when they cant even do (y)...", but although that is an easy stance to take upon returning to the U.S. I have to disagree. It is not wise turn against what you know as comfort because a lot, not all, but a lot of those people who "can't even do (y)" are comfortable. I lived with a family of 4 who had 1 car, lived in a one level apartment and were more than willing to open their home to me and to feed me and to care for me. The same goes for the rural, indigenous families on Taquille Island and in Sibayo, despite living in mud constructed homes their doors were open to me. It is a more obtuse and ignorant assumption to see these people as charity cases for whom you should give up all of your material possessions in order to right the wrongs that have been brought against them. If Peruvians have taught me anything it is that you should never take away from your enjoyment of life, and if that includes a jacuzzi and a Bentley so be it, as long as you are aware of what you have and are aware that others can enjoy life on less. Do not feel guilty and do not pity, instead show respect for others by being observant and taking the time to get to know those around you, jacuzzi or not.

Living in Peru was amazing, it would be hard to express all my feelings for my time there or for the people I met there in words on an internet blog so instead I will end my Peruvian Adventures of the Modern Ginger by simply sending out to the people of Peru what so many of them have sent to me...un abrazo.   

alpaCasey

No comments:

Post a Comment